Wednesday 23 July 2014

Alexander Pastries


Alexander Pastries have always been one of my favourites to buy at the baker's counter or in a cafe in Finland and, to be honest, I am not sure if I have ever baked them myself until now. These pink treats have existed as long as I remember - and much longer. It is told that the first Alexander Pastries were baked in Finland in the early 19th century and they were named after Alexander I of Russia who was not only the Emperor of Russia but also the first Russian Grand Duke of Finland as well.

In my life, there is (or has been) three great Alexanders. My first Alexander is my late Canadian Grandpa who was a great homebaker. In 1988 when I lived a year in Nelson, B.C. as an exchange student I enjoyed the privilege of eating piles of cookies and scones he made for various bake sales. His peanut butter cookie recipe is one I still frequently use - and will write about it here in the blog sooner or later. 

My second Alexander is my favourite writer Alexander McCall Smith whose Edinburgh -based series The Sunday Philosophy Club and 44 Scotland Street are brilliant and very enjoyable indeed.

My most precious Alexander, however, is my younger son whose middle name is Alexander - after no duke  nor writer but his Canadian Great-Grandpa. It is to be seen if he ever will get into baking but at least he loves each and every cake I make. And sure, if I could choose a future for him, I'd rather see him baking than ruling a country. Or even writing than ruling a country. By baking - or writing - you bring joy to people, by ruling...oh, well. 

Alexander Pastries
(makes about 20)

250 g butter
1,25 dl / ½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or 2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 egg yolk
5 dl / 2 cups plain flour

Filling
1 egg white
120 g ground almonds
1 tbsp granulated sugar
200 g raspberry jam

Pink Icing
5 dl / 2 cups icing sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice (add more if too thick)
some red food colour to get the shade of pink you like, I used 3 tsp

Brown Stripes
1 dl / ½ cup icing sugar
a few drops of water
brown food colour, I used ½ tsp

1. Cream butter and sugar together.
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Add flour and mix just enough so the batter is smooth.
4. Put the batter in the fridge to rest for ½-1 h.
5. Preheat the oven into 200 degrees C (390 F)
6. After the batter has rested, divide it into two balls. Roll both into 0.5 cm thick rectangles on two separate baking parchments. 
7. Whip the egg white with sugar until stiff and carefully fold in the ground almond.
8. Spread the raspberry jam on one of the rolled batters and on top of that the egg white-almond mixture.
9. Carefully lift the other rolled batter on top of the first one.
10. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
11. Let cool completely and then make the icings.
12. First spread the pink icing evenly on top of the pastry, then pipe the brown stripes  and by using a cocktail stick make the 'wave' patterns.
13. When the icing is set cut the cake into small squares. Mine were about 5cm x 5cm and  I got 20 of them. - Or cut them smaller if to be served with other petit fours.




No comments:

Post a Comment