Tuesday 16 September 2014

Cake #24 - Victoria Sandwich


Sunday Classic Cake - Victoria Sandwich.


I walk on the beach. I can feel that the summer is gone but the wind is not harsh yet. It is gentle. Like the sand I walk on. All sounds are gentle, too. A distant dog barking. A child playing with water. The soft and gentle wind on my hair. I can smell the sea and I can hear it, too. The sea is saying me something. I walk closer to hear.. and I hear the sea saying me gently:

- It is time to go home. Go home. Go home and bake a cake...cake...cake....

In the village, before going home, I go to the little flower market to see if they have any raspberries. None. But they have fresh strawberries. Tiny and so sweet. Perfect shape, each and every strawberry in the box I buy. I pay and say thank you, and when I am at the gate I turn around and say to the man at the market:

- It is time to go home. Go home. Go home and bake a cake...cake...cake....

Victoria Sandwich

Sponge
200 g soft butter
200 g granulated sugar
4 eggs
200 g self-raising flour
1,5 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cream or milk

400 g fresh strawberries
300 ml fresh cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
icing sugar

1. Heat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 F) and grease and flour (I use dried and ground breadcrumbs) a Ø 24 cm cake pan.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Cream together butter and sugar.
4. Add eggs and mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients and cream or milk.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan. 
7. Bake in the oven for 35-30 minutes until solid in the middle.
8. Let cool completely on a rack.
9. Whip the cream together with sugars.
10. Cut the sponge in half.


11. Spread half of the whipped cream on the bottom layer, then place the strawberries on the cream and on top of the strawberries the rest of the cream.
12. Place carefully the other half of the cake on the filled half. Do not press - otherwise the cream and strawberries will come out...
13. Finally, sift icing sugar on top.
14. Stay home and eat the cake, cake, cake...


No comments:

Post a Comment